Product Description for the XILS Vocoder 5000 - Organic sound of EMS 5000 analog Vocoder
XILS Vocoder 5000
The First and Last step for Vocoding
A Legend is Reborn !
Inspired by the EMS Flagship Vocoder ( EMS 5000 -1976-) , XILS-lab used his knowledge acquired during the emulation of both the VCS3 synthesizer and the VP300 VocoderPlus to develop the XILS Vocoder 5000 Model
SAY IT WITH MUSIC
A Vocoder is a synthesizer which accepts an external sound source, a musical instrument or prerecorded signal, so that you can process it, with or without the keyboard, into a huge variety of sounds.
Human voice, the most variable sound of all, can be fed into the Vocoder, so that you can alter its pitch, Tone, Vibrato, and all its characteristics, allowing you to synthetize a Choir from a single voice, or to create melodies from ordinary speech.
You can also process Drums, percussive elements, or Guitars and … every kind of synthesizer itself, to breathe some analog life into them, or completely reshape them. You can even derive some pure synth patterns from …. drumloops. Everything is possible
For a more detailed and technical explanation of what a vocoder is, please visit the Features page.
For Sound Examples, please visit the Audio Page.
XILS Vocoder 5000
Clarity, Purity : The XILS Vocoder 5000 emulates the sophisticated filtering techniques and incredibly complex circuitry of its analog counterpart to achieve the same organic sound, precision and … clarity.
Easy to use for beginners, yet incredibly powerful for Veterans : The user interface offers a standard single panel view. Everything is there, right under your hands, with a lot of presets to get you started. Should you want, or need, to go further, the Logo Center Panel will switch to a vast choice of advanced panels displaying the advanced parameters of the module of the Vocoder 5000 you wish to explore and experiment with. And there are dozens of advanced parameters, for your joy.
Back in 21st Century : Because it’s a Xils, it offers many advanced features that its ancestor could not have offered in its time :, Bands number, Filter types, Filter’s Emphasis and Emphasis ponderation, more Slew Rate mods, more Freeze mods, 2 LFOs ( Original had none ), Detailed FM and PWM, more Oscillators Waveforms, an improved Input detector ( Sibilants), Gate input etc, etc.
The XILS 5000 Vocoder uses the same filtering techniques than its real analogmodel to achieve the same sound, precision and clarity.
It has been designed to be easy to use, but behind its simple interface, it features many advanced settings for those who really want to tweak the sound. Each module has its own advanced setting panel, so it can be tuned separately and quickly.
For a quick start, just insert the XILS 5000 Vocoder in your vocal track and let the pitch tracker follow the original pitch of the voice.
A Vocoder, What is this ?
- A Vocoder is an effect which uses two signals to produce one output signal. The first signal is called the Modulator and the second signal is called Carrier.
- Usually vocals are used as the modulator, but it can also be drums, percussion, or any other musical signal. Synthesizer are used as Carrier (the sound can be made from Sawtooth chords, white noise, etc, anything with a rich harmonic spectrum)
- A bank of bandpass filters is splitting the modulator into several frequency bands and do the same with the Carrier signal. The level detected in the modulator spectrum are then applied to the carrier spectrum giving what we commonly know as "Robot Voices" when a vocoder is used in his simpler manner.
- For a good result and an understandable synthetic voice, 22 bands are used in our legacy EMS 5000 model, but less bands are also commonly found on other vocoders.
The quality of a vocoder is depending on the following components :
- The filter bank : it must provide a good analysis spectrum, for which every band is equally measured (without any digital artifacts)
- The band level analysis : the way each band level is measured and analyzed gives the key of a good vocoder with clarity and precision.
- The synthesis band modulation : the way each synthesis band is modulated is also part of the vocoder sound, its quality, its smoothness.
- Synthesizer carrier : Without a good synthesizer feeding the vocoder filters, the result wouldn't be as good as expected.
The XILS 5000 provides these qualities for an incredible Vocoding result
- Synthesizer sound is based on our acclaimed VCS 3 oscillators emulation
- The 20 or 22 bands filter bank is based on our analog like, zero-delay behavior filters, ensuring that all bands are equally measured.
- Level analysis and spectrum followers were developed during several years and are now at the top of the state of art, as you can see in our VP-330 emulation.
But what makes the XILS 5000 Vocoder incredible is the Matrix patch area : You can connect each band of the modulator to any band of the carrier. This means that endless sound possibilities are in front of you !
Not only a "simple" vocoder, the XILS 5000 is also a wonderful synthesizer tool with a Voice/Unvoice detector, a Pitch Tracker and a Frequency Shifter which can give you a lot of fun, manipulate voices, drums, bass lines or anything