Product Description for the Tascam DR-44WL
The DR-44WL revolutionizes handheld recorders with its new Wi-Fi feature. A free app for iOS or Android devices provides control, file transfer, and audio streaming to your smartphone or tablet computer. Start recording while on stage or from anywhere in the room. Set trim levels, check meters and control the transport. At the end of a performance, transfer recordings to your smartphone and instantly upload them to SoundCloud or Facebook, or even e-mail directly to fans.
The DR-44WL has a pair of high-quality stereo condenser microphones built from high-performance components and arranged in XY pattern. These mics can handle high sound pressure levels without distortion. Two locking XLR inputs for external mics or sources are also available.
With four independent recording tracks, built-in mixer with reverb effect plus a bounce feature, the DR-44WL offers the ability to create true multitrack recordings. Or record two tracks in different formats (WAV/MP3) or with different level settings.
Recording settings and GPS information can be saved with BWF files
A major improvement in version 1.2 is the XRI (eXtended Recording Information) feature that can be used with BWF format recordings. It stores the recording settings after each recording and allows the user to identify the recorder as well as the settings used for a certain recording. In addition, a smartphone’s GPS information can be embedded while connected to the recorder via Wi-Fi and using the TASCAM DR CONTROL app. Storing GPS data is useful when working in multiple locations, e.g. when making outdoor sound-gathering recordings. XRI information can be displayed on the main unit, on the DR CONTROL app or on other XRI-compatible models and applications.
Over-level peaks can be marked automatically
The new Peak Mark function automatically places a mark two seconds before a detected peak (PEAK LED) during recording, which is useful for post-recording confirmation. When there are no problems found after confirmation, the mark can be deleted. In the BWF format (in the same way as with other types of marks) the peak mark can be utilized in corresponding DAWs. To avoid multiple marks for the same overload event, new marks are only set 10 seconds after the previous peak mark.
Protection for important files
The new Protect function prevents important recorded files from being mistakenly deleted by operating the main unit. Protection can be switched on or off for each recording file individually.
- Marks can be added during playback
- New Mark Skip Mode allows to set what type of mark to use when moving between them
- Marks can be removed all at once
- Empty folders can be deleted
Two cardioid mic capsules are arranged so that their diaphragms overlap in the same axis. This X-Y configuration provides a true stereo image. The microphone capsules and input circuitry are designed to perform without distortion in environments with high sound pressure levels – such as live concerts and recording close to a sound source.
In addition, a newly-designed shock mount absorbs vibrations effectively - even when mounted on a digital SLR camera.
- Cardioid condenser mics in an X-Y configuration for impeccable stereo recordings
- Designed to handle high sound pressures of up to 132 dB
- Shock mount structure reduces physical noise
- Dual-level recording function helps avoid overloads
The XLR/TRS external input jacks can be used to record the outputs of a PA console or external mics while recording with the built-in mics – recording four tracks (two stereo tracks) simultaneously. Set the recorder to capture four mono, one stereo and two mono, or two stereo tracks according to your recording needs. Since this unit can also provide +48V phantom power, users can also connect their favorite condenser mics.
Moreover, this unit supports +4dBu input, which is necessary to interface with professional-level equipment
- XLR/TRS inputs that support +4dBu and +48V
- Low noise realized through the use of a PGA and high-performance audio codec
- Four-track recording is easy using the external inputs for mics or other devices
TASCAM has once again revolutionized handheld recording! The DR-44WL creates its own Wi-Fi network, and a free dedicated app can be used for remote operation without touching the unit. Not only does the app allow recording to be started and stopped, it can also be used to check and adjust input levels from an iOS or Android device. Everything related to recording can be done by Wi-Fi.
Since the Wi-Fi transmission range is about 20 metres, this feature can be used with the recorder in places that are normally out of reach. In addition, audio can be checked by Wi-Fi after recording. The audio quality can be checked through headphones connected to a smartphone. With operation capabilities and flexibility that exceeds infrared remotes – and reliability that approaches that of wired remotes – this handheld recorder allows freedom of placement that far surpasses that of previous models.
- Simple Wi-Fi connections without a router
- Remote control using the free DR CONTROL app (iOS/Android)
- Check recorded audio using wireless playback
The benefits of Wi-Fi are not limited to recording. Audio files can be transmitted via Wi-Fi to smartphones and computers. Files can also be uploaded to SoundCloud using a dedicated application. SoundCloud is tightly linked with other social networking services. For example, if a recording is shared to Facebook, it will appear on the user's timeline. By uploading a live recording immediately after performance, audience members could listen to the concert again on their way home.
- Dual-format recording function allows simultaneous recording of both WAV and MP3 files
- Share audio files from SoundCloud to other social networking services
- Transfer files to computers wirelessly
Even though the DR-44WL is a professional recording device, it also has numerous automatic functions that make capturing high-quality recordings easy for anyone. In addition to automatic recording functions, the unit also has functions that simplify file management. Users can create high-quality recordings without complicated operations.
- Automatic level optimization functions (peak reduction and limiter)
- Automatic track incrementation functions (new file creation) can be set according to the application
- Automatic recording function that starts recording when a preset audio input level is detected
- Automatic mark function that adds marks according to set conditions
- Automatic division function that divides files at pre-set marks (V1.10)
The DR-44WL is also a powerful tool for songwriters. By selecting MTR mode, the user can use the DR-44WL as a multitrack recorder to overdub one track at a time. With functionality that approaches that of a dedicated MTR, it is possible to produce studio-quality music files using just one DR-44WL. In addition, the reverb effect can be used to sweeten recordings.
- MTR mode enables music production similar to using a dedicated multitrack recorder
- Reverb gives vocal and instrumental performances a pleasing sense of space.